Thursday, February 19, 2015

More Headpieces #5



This is Tom Hafner with "Barbara" in the 1978 King Neptune Spec.
When I took these elephants over in the Fall of 1973 , Hugo Schmitt had named the seven young elephants "Minyak", "Mala", "Sandra", "Sheva", "Assam", "Patna" and "Matsho", names  difficult for the every day elephant Hand to master so I immediately changed the last five to "Barbara", "Josky" "Sophie", "Hope" and "Babe".
When I told Sophie Fox I had named an elephant after her she shot back "Oh Really!".....anyway I meant well.

Over the years "Hope" went to Rex Williams who changed her name to "Gyp" and "Babe" wound up in the Columbus Zoo? name unknown.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Babe use to be on the red unit early 1980's right Buckles? I've held one of her red head pieces, sadly the buckle was busted thru the leather on the one I held.

mike zim said...

My dad, Wild Bill Zim, posed with "Tanzy" at the Columbus Zoo in 1942, for a wrestling promotion. It would be interesting if she also came from a circus. (She's small, maybe 7' tall.) He also posed with lioness Cookie and huge lion Duke.
I can email these if you'd like.

Unknown said...

Sophie and Babe are at the Little rock Zoo now.. I have photo if interested