Thursday, October 30, 2014

Military Elephants #8


This is my father at left working the Robinson Elephants in the early 1930's.
I wish I had paid closer attention when he talked about the experience, as I recall he was at Hall's place in Lancaster and was loaned out to work the act on a string of fair dates.
He said it was a hard act to work as they were spoiled rotten and didn't volunteer much.
I remember he said one of the "Highlights" was an announcement, "Tillie the talking elephant, will now speak the word "Mama!" 
He said the audience could scarcely hear her faint "maaa-maaa" but his "Louder You Son Of A Bitch!" was clearly audible.

3 comments:

Dick Flint said...

Great tale (tail)! Please, Buckles, any other recollections of what your father said about these elephants? This act is of some interest to me.

Buckles said...

The big thing was the War Scene where they fired the cannons, carried the wounded from the battle scene, etc.

Paul Gutheil said...

God bless your Dad.