Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Seaside Heights Carousel


Auction Could Be Undoing of New Jersey Carousel That Survived Hurricane and Fire
Seaside Heights stands to lose its last carousel, the historic, wooden one, which dates to 1910 and features horses from some master carvers. The owners recently announced they would put it up for sale in the fall.
Guernsey’s, the auction house, would like to keep the carousel in one piece, estimating its potential market value at $3 million. But failing that, it could be sold off piece by piece to collectors of carousel figures.
The carousel, one of only about 150 antique wooden merry go rounds left in the United States, is unusually large, with 58 figures arrayed in four rows, mostly of horses, but including camels and a stray lion and tiger.
It was moved to Seaside Heights in 1932, and has an authentic Wurlitzer military band organ from 1923.
It was made by a noted carver, Gustav Dentzel, a German immigrant and cabinetmaker who settled in Philadelphia and soon had a flourishing business. While the earliest American carousels date to the 1870s, the heyday of the carousel trade was from 1900 to the late 1920s, when two dozen carousels graced Coney Island.
Over the years, some of Dentzel’s figures on the Seaside Heights carousel were replaced by those of other master carvers, including the studios of Charles I. D. Looff, Charles Carmel and Marcus Illions.


3 comments:

GaryHill said...

When I was in NJ at Great Adventure, Seaside Heights was my hangout on my days off. Loved that old Carousel and it was housed inside so it was used year round .. I was concerned that it was damaged in Hurricane Sandy..too bad they want to get rid of it.:( Great Adventure has an old Carousel also. Didn't the one at Circus World come from overseas?

Chic Silber said...


Hi Gary did you know a Milton

Silber at Great Adventure Park

A long story

GaryHill said...

Doesn't ring a bell Chic..I was there for 6 months before the park opened then for the first 2 years before I left and came back to Circus World. I stayed in my elephant barn and section 24/7 back then..alot of Hotshots were always given tours to my barn to see all my babies, but I cant remember names for shit...faces, I never forget..