Saturday, December 31, 2011

To Gary Payne

12-30-2011 11;33;17AM by bucklesw1
12-30-2011 11;33;17AM, a photo by bucklesw1 on Flickr.

Hi Buckles!

I have a question for you....
You make reference to the "milk run"..... Can you explain - what is the milk run?

Happy New Year to you and your family.
Gary Payne


"The term pretty much explains itself.
This example shows my wife and "Anna May" exiting the ring and taking the long way around the track to acknowledge the entire audience hence "Milk Run".
The suggestion came from Irvin Feld himself, I'd like to think he liked the act but maybe they needed time to set the ring for the next act."
Buckles

2 comments:

Little John said...

Thank you Buckles. I remember being required to tastelessly “milk” the audience on too many occasions, (who am I kidding – I loved it.) I also wondered what the “milk run” was because I never put 2 and 2 together. I am old enough to remember the milk man and his early morning sprint around town – silly me I thought it had something to do with that.

Roger Smith said...

The most talked-about milk run of his era was that of Robert de VasConcellos. For the unfortunates who missed it, you had to be totally carried away with a single-horse, Center Ring solo dressage act to stay with this number. But when his mount did a side-step all the way around the track, obviously at Roberto's leisure, the milk run became an impossible test of audience endurance.