Saturday, June 19, 2010

From Kelly Maynard #1


sylvesters, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

I received your address from Robert Perry who is my cousin.
I am at least 6th generation circus performer and my parents own Eroni's Circus in Australia.

I have been following your blog for some time now and would love to add some photos of my great grandmother,Margaret Nellie Perry nee Hodson,(She was known as Nellie Perry).
She caught her brothers in the family flying act "The Flying Sylvesters",who worked with Wirths,Perry Bros and Soles Bros Circuses in the 30's and 40's.
After that she went on to run Perry Bros Circus with her husband Jim Perry Jnr.

As far as I know she has been the only woman catcher in Australia.I would be interested in knowing of any other women catchers around the world.
Personally I believe her achievements as a flyer/aerialist/acrobat have gone largely unrecognised.

She died in 1997 when I was five.

Regards, Kelly Maynard.

1 comments:

J C Hall said...

This photo looks like one of many acts that was featured in the old
(Barnes & Caruthers) catalog.
Big doins in its day and a lot bigger in this day and age.