Friday, June 25, 2010

From Bill Powell


img148_edited, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Buckles,

What a great set of photos from Jimmy Hall on the Gil Gray reunion. It brought back a lot of great memories. I was practically raised around that show and lived two blocks away from winterquarters in Dallas.

I found a great old photo of the three elephants on Gil's show, Minnie, Jennie and Tilly. This photo was taken in the mid 1950's. My mom performed this act with cousin Johnny Herriott. The little guy on the elephants is a much younger version of a certain entertainment executive posing with his mom. Great memories.

Regards,

Bill Powell

6 comments:

jerry digney said...

Gil Gray. what a character. i met him in his later years in Dallas (he was still producing the Texas Fair circus as i recall) when i went out with Carden & Johnson as their announcer. Many of C&J's dates were former Gil Gray dates I believe. In Texas at the time, also got to meet many of the Texas showfolks, who were Gil Gray alumni, such as the Craigs and the Henrys. would love to see more Gil Gray Circus photos as i've always heard it was a very attractive show.

GaryHill said...

Bill, your Mothers smile in this photo could almost double with Barbara's smile. They look similar to me?

Roger Smith said...

The quintessential American circus woman. No ring was ever brighter than when the Blonde Bombshell made an entrance. We have been blessed with many great performers among the women, and everyone will have their favorites. To this day, for me, the style and flash so natural to Gee Gee remains without equal.

Anonymous said...

i appreciate the kind comments on Gee Gee

she was original in every way and left an indelible print on the business

and she was the greatest mom any person could ever have

bill powell

GaryHill said...

Bill, I only met your Mother one time in Seagoville at winter quarters there. I was there trimming some horses for JoAnn Pinson. She was a very gracefully lady!

Jack Ryan said...

Bill,

When I was a very young circusgoer, I remember how excited I'd get when I'd see in the program that Gee Gee was in the show.

What a wonderful, magnetic and gifted performer!

Best wishes,

Jack