Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Sarasota Herald Tribune (From Don Covington)


bilde, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Decades of Devotion

Since 1949, fourth- to 12th-graders have been high-wire walking, trapeze hanging, tumbling and doing aerial acrobatics, all in the company of what they often refer to as a “second family.”
Hundreds of volunteers, many of whom are alums, have donated more than 25,000 hours to the circus, showing their commitment to a cause so dear to their hearts.
On this, the 60th anniversary of the organization, here is a look back at the evolution of the Sailor Circus and the performers who have enriched its history.
The 1950s: LOU ANN PALMER, current mayor of Sarasota
Why did you decide to join?
I was 13 when I joined in 1950, and I was an acrobat by nature. I could turn myself inside out and sit on my head, and being in the circus was a perfect opportunity to do that on a trapeze.
What is your fondest memory?
I guess the funniest thing for me was when I did my swinging ladder act. It was right after the horse act, so you can imagine. The first night, I was stepping in number one. The second night, it was number two. And the third night, it was a double hitter.
Why is the anniversary important to you?
Any anniversary is important for an organization that has done so much for young people. The circus teaches teamwork, discipline and respect. It's such a great learning experience.
The 1960s: WILLIE EDELSTON, retiree
Why did you decide to join?
I joined in 1962 when I was 39 because the coaching staff needed help at the time and I was willing. I had been an acrobat and a hand balancer in the past, so I helped with the acrobatic troupe.
What is your fondest memory?
One tour really stands out for me. It was in 1973, when we took the Sailor Circus -- the tent and everything -- all of our equipment to Anchorage, Alaska. It was an amazing tour for us to make it all the way there and see the sights.
Why is the anniversary important to you?
I'm going to see a lot of old friends, a lot of people I probably won't recognize, at the anniversary celebration. The circus is important because it's a tradition. If it weren't for the Ringling brothers, Sarasota wouldn't be what it is; that's what brought people here. The preservation of the circus is very important to me.
The 1970s: PATTY CAMPBELL, current director of the Sailor Circus
Why did you decide to join?
We moved to Florida in 1969, the year I joined, and I was 9 years old. The kids I met a couple doors down from our house were enrolled in the circus. They got me into it. I had no talent at the time.
What is your fondest memory?
The overall experience, the thrill of performing, was really phenomenal. Being in the program was like walking into this huge family. We'd all go to the beach together or go to other people's houses for large family barbecues.
Why is the anniversary important to you?
It's important because that same family environment still goes on today. For an organization to be going on for so long and still keeping that same family bond for new generations is just incredible.
The 1980s: SUSAN LOEFFLER, current artistic director of the Sailor Circus
Why did you decide to join?
My father is Jeff Voyles, and he was the assistant director of the circus in 1978, when I joined when I was 10. I was running around the circus when I was 2 or 3 years old, so it was natural for me to be a part of it.
What is your fondest memory?
Your senior year at the circus is always a really special time, an emotional time. You've graduated from high school and you're looking at what your life is going to be like without these people you've basically grown up with. It's very gratifying when it's all said and done, that you were a part of this special family.
Why is the anniversary important to you?
It's celebrating an amazing organization. Some of the friendships I made in the circus I still have today. It's a very unique experience that every young person should have the opportunity to try.
The 1990s: KELLY PRINCE, owner of Body Heat yoga studio in Sarasota
Why did you decide to join?
I had a friend in the circus when I joined in 1983 in third grade, and my mom was in it when she was younger. I was like, 'I have to do this.' It was a family thing.
What is your fondest memory?
The last couple nights of shows when I was graduating. It was like leaving all your friends that you grew up with, but at the same time, it was a feeling of accomplishment to have gone through the program.
Why is the anniversary important to you?
Because the circus means so much to so many people. I learned dedication and a lot of responsibility. I would never want a kid not to experience what I had. If you can learn to do a back flip or walk the trapeze, you feel you can do anything.

0 comments: