Friday, April 03, 2009

Clyde Beatty Cole Bros. 1983 #1 (From Joe Giordano)

Buckles
I have been sorting and organizing my thousands of slides. Don't ask!!! Should have kept up with the organization as I took the photos and made notes. Anyway... Can you help identify the elephant on the right in the attached photo's?. See photo numbers CBCB83-117S & CBCB83-118S. I am guessing that the elephant in question is Maude? Photo was taken Aug.4th-8th 1983, Farmingville LI NY. I believe Maude or Maud was sold during the early 80's to Hawthorne, not sure of the year. Left to right in each photo I have identified Pete, Helen, and Sue. Of course Capt.Fred Logan is in command.

"In the SACRED ALL-KNOWING BOOK ON PACHYDERMS, I have 9 elephants listed for the 1983 season "Pete", "Sue", "Helen", "Maude", "Konti", "Ola", "Bessie", "Jewel" and "Frieda".
Indicating three rings of three elephants."
Buckles

14 comments:

David Miller said...

I was a tuba player with the CBCB show the fall of 1971. The elephant "Pete" and I were best friends. We developed a routine where I would keep a few sugar cubes in my right pant`s pocket. Pete would nudge me to retrieve them as a treat. If I didn`t give her the treat, she would put her trunk in the pocket and lift me and shake me until I would give her some sugar. I miss her.She was a great friend.

Sarah said...

I saw the circus in my hometown in 1978 I belive Pete was with them. I remember seeing him in Muncie Indiana, Richmond Indiana and on the tv news from Dayton ohio. There were a couple of kids then called Lancelot (trapeze and acrobats ) and his friend Joey ( his family ran consessions i think.

Chic Silber said...

Pete was indeed there Sarah but

he was actually a she & she was

the leader of the herd

Lancelot was from the Ramos family

Chic Silber said...

Wasn't Bessie also known as Bee

Buckles said...

Those two elephants "Burma" and "Gypsy" came from Tony Gentry.
Rex preferred one syllable names hence "Bee" and "Gyp".

Chic Silber said...

I believe that for a few years Rex

had the 5 act in ring 2 with Pete

Bee Sue Gyp & Konti

Wade G. Burck said...

Buckles,
You are absolutely right(yes, you usually are) suggesting that Rex preferred one syllable names. I had never really thought about it, until just now when you mentioned it. Thank you for the "memory jog."

Wade Burck

Buckles said...

For the most part the center ring act was "Pete", "Sue", "Dena", "Bee" and "Gyp" in that order.

Sarah said...

I remembered after I posted that Pete was a she and couldn't un-post. Pete just had a personality that stood out.

Chic Silber said...

Funny that both Konti & Dena were

2 syllable names (that's my excuse

& I'm sticking with it)

Buckles said...

He had a gimpy old cow on the Vargas Show he called "Old Folks".

Chic Silber said...

Didn't his Reed have a gimp leg

or maybe just a stiff leg also

Chic Silber said...

I think Rex liked horseback due to

his painful limp (maybe his hip)

I seem to recall Rex & Reed as a

limpalong comedy duo

Buckles said...

I don't think so.
Bobby Gibbs said he just got tired of walking thru the shit.