Thursday, March 12, 2009

PETA ALERT!

Mr. Dhotre,
Thanks for the pictures and information on your great-grandfather Damoo Dhotre.
The picture above came from my friend and fellow elephant trainer Walt King and though intended in jest, it is painfully close to the truth. As I write this, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is defending itself in court from fanatics who are are attempting to remove elephants from circuses. From what I read you are having similar problems in India and we can only hope that these efforts are thwarted and some manner of sanity is returned.
I might add that I saw the great Prince Damoo perform in the center ring with Ringling Bros. in 1948, presenting an assortment of spotted cats. He was accompanied by two more arena acts in the end rings, a tiger act and a polar bear act.
Although 60 years have passed I well remember his finesse and cool demeanor, especially when he did a series of pirouettes around the arena with a leopard draped around his neck.
Thanks again for your contribution.

Buckles

0 comments: