Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Clyde & Jack


clyde&jack, originally uploaded by bucklesw1.

Buckles,

As I was looking for the Merle Evans photo which I sent and you kindly posted, found another photographic curiosity that you might enjoy.

This was taken in the late 1950s. Think I was 18 years old. (Hard to believe I was ever that young.) The immortal Mr. Clyde Beatty was crossing the lot of his circus, playing a one-day stand in McComb, Mississippi, my hometown. Hanging around the lot and being a nervy kid, I introduced myself and asked if he would pose for a photo. He graciously agreed, chatted politely for a few minutes and shook my hand. Unforgettable.

Your cat experts are so right. His was one of the most exciting -- if not THE most exciting -- cat acts I have ever seen or expect to see. The big male lion jumping on the arena's door a second or two after Mr. Beatty exited was pure theatre. None of the Barrymores, Fondas or anybody else could possibly match it.

My best as always,

Jack Ryan

5 comments:

Harry Kingston said...

WOW, Jack what a great photo of Mr. Beatty.
By the way was this photo taken on Oct. 10th, 1959 when the all new Clyde Beatty-Cole Bros. combined Circus played McComb, MS????
When I was very young I got to see him a few times before he died and I was on the edge of my seat praying he came out alive.
The act was a pure thrill to see with the guns blazing and the whip cracking and Daniel in the lions den.
I never forgot this experience in see Mr. Beatty in action.
Harry

Anonymous said...

Mr. Kingston,

That date would be a good guess. Wish I could confirm it but would be about right. Later in life, because of my PR work with Ringling, got to be a close friend of Gunther's. So consider myself double blessed!

Best regards,

Jack

Mike Naughton said...

Jack --
Isn't being a little nervy almost a prerequisite for a Press guy?
Mr. Beatty had no way of knowing that he was shaking hands with the future author of the circus industry's most quoted farewell saying, "May All Your Days Be Circus Days!"
One photo, two legends and a saying that will go on forever and ever more...

Anonymous said...

Mike,

That is a very kind comment and made me really happy to read it.

Thank you.

Jack

Anonymous said...

I have to agree. I'll never forget Mr Beatty's exit at the climax of his act. I'll also never forget that one year, in my home town, Salisbury,Md, 1961 I beleive the Beatty Show arrived on an off Sunday. And instead of wind rolling the Big Top, they went ahead and put it in the air. This was so Mr Beatty, who was in the process of beaking a new cat, could get in some training time with it. My brother Bill and I were permitted to stay and watch him work the tiger. Now that was a real thrill. Dick Dykes