Monday, January 28, 2008

Australian Inquiry!

Mr Woodcock,
My name is Glenn Sullivan. I am Australian by birth (don't hold it against me) and currently work elephants at Whipsnade zoo, UK. I worked for S.Riddle for a short time at his farm in Arkansas. I have watched your blog daily since it started and enjoyed the photos as well as the clever remarks. I have seen on occasion references to Australian circuses and would like to ask, time permitting if any of the Australian contributors know of an asian cow called 'Tanya' that arrived in Australia in or around 1964 with another called 'Tricia' and went to Perth zoo, where I worked 'Tricia'. I believe she was on the Ashton show but am not sure. If photos become available put them on the blog if you don't mind. I thank you in advance and I am hoping to attend an elephant meeting in November at the Ringling Stud farm. I would love to have the opportunity to meet you. Take care.

Sincerely
Glenn Sullivan



To Mr. Perry,
In regard to the "bushranger" pictured in the 1938 Tim McCoy program, there was no name included in the article.
I might add that despite the Colonel's optimism, the show folded in a matter of weeks resulting in great financial loss.
Buckles

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE ONLY ELEPHANTS LEF IN AUSTRILIA ARE THE 3 BULLEN ELEPHANTS THAT ARE IN THE STEVE IRWIN PARK IN QUEENSLAND. BRENTON BULLEN HAS THEM. ALL OF THE OTHERS WERE SOLD TO A DEALER IN BANCOCK. WHO WAS GOING TO SELL THEM FOR MEAT . THE AUSSIES FOUND OUT AND INTERCEPTED THE SHIP AT SEA AND TOOK THEM TO SINGAPORE. I BELIVE THEY ARE STILL THERE

Anonymous said...

The elephant Tanya was an Ashton Circus Elephant,she was also on loan to Frank Gasser's Circus Royale for a number of years...Tanya the youngest of the 3 Ashton elephants died about 3 years ago

Anonymous said...

casey my cousin lorraine maynard nee perry is now the only australian circus with elephants they have two and will go down in history as the last aussie circus with elephants Robert Perry

Anonymous said...

G'day Casey,
I have been in touch with my friends at the Singapore Zoo, where I have spent time visiting and working with thier Elephants in '78, '84 and '93. All of the Elephants they have received at the Zoo were from Sri Lanka, Malayasia and Sumatra. If these two Elephants did arrive in Singapore, then they were transported north out of the country or put on another ship! I would be rather surprized that the Australian Government would agree to have two Asian Elephants shipped out of Australia to Thailand as meat!?

Looks like the mistery continues!

Happy Days
Wayne