Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Norman Barrett #1 (From Sue Lenz)


While sorting through my photographs of Ringmasters that we had the pleasure of working with on RBBB Circus (Harold Ronk, Tim Holst, Kit Haskett, Jim Ragona, Eric Michael-Gillett, Bob Welz,) I thought it would be interesting to enclosing a couple of photographs and information about Norman Barrett. He is considered one of England’s most sought after Ringmaster.

Norman in his younger years had a dog act “Van Dykes Dogs”Also was a very good horseman and rider, (High School & The Roman Post)

In 1955 we presented a dog act together, later in 1958 while on Robert Bro's Circus he started to Ringmaster, gave it up for a while on Bertram Mill’s Circus, but then was asked by Bernard Mills to Ringmaster after my Uncle, Tony Yelding was taken ill,.Norman continued until Bertram Mills closed at the end Olympia 1966/67

Norman went to Circus Scott in Sweden as Ringmaster and has been doing it ever since.To my reckoning he is celebrating his 49th year this year as a Ringmaster with Zippo’s Circus in UK.

During his Ringmaster career he has also performed for many years at both the Tower Circus and the Superdome Circus in Blackpool. Did the TV Championships in London also the TV French, La Piste at the Cirque de Hiver in Paris and enjoyed a tour with the Big Apple Circus in the USA.

Kindest regards.
Sue.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Norman Barrett.
A true Circus Gent.

Mike Naughton said...

Norman is THE BEST! Plus, a delightful and down to earth person in real life.
The first time I saw Norman on Big Apple and he addressed the audience with his commanding English accent and opening line, "Lords, ladies and gentlemen..." I knew instantly that his gigantic reputation was well earned.
Congratulations Norman!

Anonymous said...

Seeing Mr. Barrett at Blackpool Tower I saw a real Ring Master He announced,he was prop boss and performance director. He kept the show flowing very nicely
And He is an impressive Gentleman, and Budgie trainer

Anonymous said...

Sue, thanks for sharing thius series with us.

Anonymous said...

Have any pictures of Kit? I was a student of his way back when, and am still good friends with his family. :) I'll check back periodically.

-Em

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue
My grandfather's(Jack Prendergast) cousin was Frank Foster Senior - I'm trying to track down Frank Jr - I remember his son coming to visit our house in York (England) when I was little 30+ years ago! - All part of my family tree search - someone on the circus history message board said you might be able to help. Is he still alive - I tracked down an address in Nokomis is this correct?
Kind regards, Abigail Lloyd-Jones, England
Jamesabby@ntlworld.com