Monday, March 19, 2007

Jules Jacot #4


I think Rebecca and others might be familiar with this lion, Cubby. She would roll the ball without a track (it was a flat stage). Jules left the Zoo after the 1955 season. He purchased 15 lions, including Cubby, and a tiger and moved to Paul Kelly's farm. Jules worked with Kelly for a few years but later told me, "if you don't own the truck you're not really a partner." He then went to Jungleland in California. At the Zoo he was replaced first by George Frazier and then Dick McGraw. McGraw left at the end of 1961 season and the Zoo recruited 72 year old Jules to return for the 1962 season. 1969 would be Jules last season at the St. Louis Zoo. Most of the cats were sold to Carson and Barnes Circus but Jules took a few of his own cats to work at the Peoria, IL Zoo in 1970. He died in January 1971.

For 1970 the Zoo began a sea lion show at the former Lion Arena. I could never claim to replace Jules, I just worked on the same stage.
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I met Dick here at the zoo the year before he left. He introduced me to John Cuneo on the steps of the Lion House. History was made and so was I. I would never trade the life JC introduced me to for any thing on this earth. Years later Gene Garner and I went to Paul and Dottys place in Peru IN to work this act that Jules trained. CUBBY was one mean lion. Gene worked her on a Fleckles date when she was in season. I think ELOISE worked the act after Gene and I went back to Hugo. The closing trick of this act was dragging CUBBY by her tail to remove her from the arena. The picture Buckles had on earlier of Gene and I in the arena was taken on that date for Fleckles.