Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Bostock & Wombwell Animal Show #2


A good trurn out welcomes the show on it's arrival into town in 1907, with the added bonus of having their picture taken. The photographer must have just said "Smile!".
The scene is quite chaotic, since the baggage stock has been unhitched this might be the lot right in the center of town.

On the back of the picture is this peculiar notation:
"Living wagon at Bensons, World of Mirth had another until 45 or '46. Don't know where it went".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I see this living wagon, I think of the one we had on location for DR. DOLITTLE. We had Blossom's (Richard Attenborough) Circus set up at Disney's Golden Oaks Ranch, and the cats I took care of were in old Spanish circus cages. But the focal point of the location was the old wooden caravan wagon like this one. The extras used to sneak in the back door for their trysts between takes and there was no end of amusement observing the waiting line.

Anonymous said...

Buckles: I printed out a color photo last week on your blog showing the Wallendas circa 1950s performing in Portland. I'd like to give a copy of it to Tino, who's performing the 7 this week at Circus Flora. I'd also like to use the photo for a video I'm doing on the Wallendas--about 1:30 which I'd like to submit to Debbie Walk at Ringling Circus Museum to show off my video work for her potential use at the proposed Circus Performance wing (as discussed at the Sunday nite CHS banquet by the Ringlng Museum exec dir). My I have your permission to use the photo (I'll be giving a copy of the video to Tino for his use in a.m. TV interviews). Thanks. Lane Talburt e-mail Talburtcom@sbcglobal.net

Buckles said...

Be my guest!