Friday, November 18, 2005

Robinson Military Elephants #2


At one point after becoming an independent act the elephants were shipped out to the Selig Zoo in Los Angeles, probably to do some movie work.
I have a set of pictures of the act in a practice session while at the zoo. I like this one best showing three elephants with sleigh bells on their ankles, dancing on wooden tubs while a fourth plays a piano.
My dad liked this kind of stuff but fortunately when he eventually got his own elephant act I didn't have to load and unload a piano, Anna May's tambourine was enough for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember watching the elephants at the St Louis Zoo perform. Does any zoo still have performing elephants? It would be a great way for the elephants to get exercise and make a dime or two for the Zoo.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
The elephant show at the St. Louis Zoo use to have an elephant band with one on a horn, one on an accordion, one beat a drum, an another cranked a hurdy gurdy. With exception of the drum it was pretty lame but interesting. They also did a baseball game, bowling, barbershop, and other vaudeville routines. I understand the first group 1937-54 was pretty good, the next group was not as polished. The elephant show was ended in 1991, only the sea lion show remains.

Anonymous said...

My introduction to the Circus World and JC was at the St Louis ZOO. Dick Mcgraw had the Lion Act. I could tell you that story but then I would have to kill you.