Thursday, September 22, 2005

Barnett Bros. Circus 1936/ Tom Tyler


This is an RKO Studio photo of Tom Tyler promoting a 1936 film Powdersmoke Range" which also included Harry Carey, Hoot Gibson, Guinn "Big Boy" Williams and Bob Steele.
I see him on TV all the time, he was the Confederate Officer in charge of evacuating Atlanta in "Gone With The Wind" and the outlaw killed by John Wayne in the climactic scene of "Stage Coach". My favorite tho was "Drums Along the Mohawk" in which Tyler was the last straggler returning to the fortress after having been routed by the Indians, he delivered the great line to an anxious Claudette Colbert "There's no one alive behind me!".

Most of these Wallace/Barnett pictures come from my mother's scrap books and she had a hobby of coloring photographs with tiny brushes, actually she was quite good at it but I wish she hadn't put lipstick on one of the movie's vilest villians.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My uncle Dan was often mistaken for Bob Steel. Many of his friends called him Bob. As I had no idea who Bob Steel was I looked him up and sure enough it was like they were twins. Both have been dead for about 30 years.

Anonymous said...

A lot of these men wore lipstick behind doors so maybe your mom knew something we did not.

Anonymous said...

The lipstick crack was not intended for any of the cowboys shown.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of someone I knew that I haven't heard of in years. Monty Montana and his son. Are they still around? They used to do stunt double work in the movies. Maybe Rodger has news of them. For someone who does not like cowboy movies I sure made a lot of comments. William Boyde was a friend of my grandfather.

Anonymous said...

Seasoned movie fans will remember the RKO Radio Pictures tower logo, transmitting lightning-rod signals from atop a revolving globe of Mother Earth. Named RKO (for Radio-Keith-Orpheum) in 1928, the studios were at 780 N. Gower, at Melrose, in Hollywood. Film buffs enjoy visiting the original tower and globe, now surrounded by Paramount, yet still highly visible to this day.

Anonymous said...

For the Dutchess, re Monte Montana. Your friend was born Owen Harlan Mickel, on 21 June 1910. He died in LA on 20 May 1998, of complications of a stroke, at 88. At least one history has him billing himself as Monte Montana, Jr., in a 1962 episode of GUNSMOKE. Now, this may have been the son, for whom I find no data. I used to see Montana at many events out here during my time at Jungleland. He did the compicated trick roping shots, doubling for Will Rogers, Jr., who played his father in THE WILL ROGERS STORY.

Anonymous said...

In the old oater posters of the '30s and '40s, many images of our manly Western stars were "enhanced". The rouge and lipstick were routinely overdone in this artwork for everyone from Roy Rogers to Johnny Mack Brown and even Tex Ritter. Their photos on their comic books were also often "sweetened" to portray the bloom of vaunted youth. No less masculine figures than Clyde Beatty and Terrell Jacobs also suffered being prettied in art, noted in examples of their show paper.