Monday, August 01, 2005

Barnett Bros. Circus 1939/ Lee Powell #1


One evening after a performance with Big Apple Circus at Lincoln Center I had returned to to our trailer and while taking off my uniform I realized that AMC was showing an evening of the old "Flash Gordon Serials" starring Buster Crabbe.
Powell was his sidekick Capt. Roka and Charles Middleton played the villainous "Ming the Merciless". The wardrobe looked like a hodge-podge of stuff rehashed from other movies (who's to say what they wore on Mars?) the rocket ships were suspended on strings and the dialogue was deplorable. All in all it was wonderful.
Buckles

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'msitting here listening to a Gene Autry CD & reading your remarks about "Flash Gordon" and thinking how easily we were entertained back then. It was pretty corny by todays standards but I'd bet if someone brought back the "Saturday Matinee" there would be more adults there than kids. Bill S.

Anonymous said...

I can not believe I remember when there was no television. I have not watched one in three years and do not miss it one bit. I did not like the serial at the movies because we could not afford to go every week. The radio was the big thing at our house. Green Hornet, The Shadow, Our Miss Brookes, Our Gal Sunday. It was wonderful listening and poping corn on the stove in a heavy pot. I did see some of those shows your writing about because my big brother had to take us along. We had to set in the front row.