Saturday, December 20, 2014

Unidentified #12



Corral Menagerie, caused by either a tight lot or a late arrival.


I've told the story before about the time in 1957 when I saw one of the old RBBB menagerie tents being used at the Sarasota County Fair.
I asked Dave Mullaney about the ragged looking green stuff attached to the canvas at the top of each quarter pole and he explained that one year the menagerie had a jungle motif and these would have been the palm leaves surmounting quarter poles painted in a likewise manner.
Here we see the cages used that season.

2 comments:

Paul Gutheil said...

Some of these cages ended up at Bob Dietch's Kiddie Zoo in Fairlawn, NJ, replete with at least on tiger. That plot of land now houses a nursing home.

Roger Smith said...

Our wagon guys will have to name the years this jungle effect was used on the converted ammo wagons--but I saw this design, I think at least twice, in that era. I can't be sure if it was used in '49, when I saw Gargantua, in October. Who can nail the seasons?