Monday, September 15, 2014

From Hal Guyon #1


  Here is a picture I took of Baron Nowak in 1988 at the old winterquarters in York, SC. The man on the right is Pete Sandowski, I can`t remember and didn`t write down the man standing on the left name but he was with Wallace Bros in the 40`s, maybe you can remember him. Baron was a Methodist minister in York at that time, notice the cross around his neck. He was a really nice guy and Pete was a wealth of information when it came to knowing anything about the show, I wish I had written more down or recorded him. Anyway, The shed in the far background was part of the old quarters and still has the words CIRCUS WINTERQUARTERS painted on the backside along the road. I was up there a year or so ago and it`s still there. 

4 comments:

JIM ELLIOTT said...

I bought a small autograph book at an auction last Fri. One of the signatures is Baron,s. The book belonged to Ann Thomas of the Flying Melzores and most of the signatures were from the years 1946 and1947.
Other signatures include Gunhter Wallenda, and Herman Wallenda.
I will prize this for awhile.

Unknown said...

The fellow on the left is Dr Jack Heinsohn who grew up on the show and became a clown and flyer on the Wallace and Clyde Beatty show. He became an evangelist for the Associated Reformed Presbyterian and later professor of theology at Erskine college in SC. His sermons often contained references to the circus and he sometimes put on clown makeup for the children which was a real treat. He died in 2009 at age 81.

Mike Naughton said...

Wonderful!
I learn something new every day. Just wonderful.
Thanks for sharing.

Hal Guyon said...

Thanks Bob, the name rings a bell now I`ll write it on the back. See you in Savannah next month at the Tim McCoy Ring CMB Gathering.